2006-01-11

Leaving on a dismal note

We are leaving for a vacation in Cuba in a few hours, which partially explains why I have not been as diligent in writing here as I had planned to be. Last week was a flurry of activity preparing currency, shopping for the trip, etc. and traveling to Palmerston for a weekend visit before we depart.

Moreover, the dismal poll results have discouraged me from writing about the election campaign. Since the New Year, the LP has been in a steady decline and the CP rising inexplicably fast. The alleged leak of Finance Department information seemed to be behind the Liberal's problem initially and now poll results are driving momentum for the CP. The media and voters seem oblivious to the CP announcement that it will repeal income tax reductions which came into affect on January 1 and to the failure of the CP to disclose how its promises will be financed. The LP response is that the CP promises will return Canada to deficit financing.

The leaders' debate dominated the news for the first two day this week but does not appear to have done much to shift public opinion although the swing to the CP appears to have slowed. Signs of it reversing have not appeared but the LP launched a very hard hitting series of advertisements yesterday. They emphasize that the CP and Stephen Harper are unlikely to defend a strong central government against Quebec separatists and have some bizarre past policies (undisclosed this campaign) on American relations, foreign affairs, etc. The risk is high at this time that the ads could backfire but the LP doesn't seem to have much to lose.

I will miss the media coverage for the next seven days but it maybe better to be far away than to suffer the daily updates. If all goes well, the beaches and exploring Varadero and Havana will be distraction enough. Our hotel has satellite TV but I do not know if that includes CBC Newsworld. I may have to survive on a diet of BBC and CNN.

The hotel has dial-up internet access only and charges for time on-line so it is unlikely that I will post anything before the 20th.