2006-03-28

Pride & Prejudice

Maclean's magazine does a good job on reporting on the issues surrounding this year's first OutGames in Montreal and the seventh Gay Games in Chicago. (Click on title to link to story)

While I am of the opinion that the split in the gay sporting world is regrettable, I believe the Federation of Gay Games must take most of the blame for the schism. It's board, blinded by American ultra-nationalism, was unable to cope with another reality, in which governments support gay events, and accept that the Montreal proposal for the 7th games was realistic. Unable to accept that a foreign, French-speaking (note the split was happening at the same time as anti-French sentiment raged in America over the 2nd Iraq war) city could accomplish its objectives, the federation pulled the games from Montreal.

Now, according to The Advocate reporting last week, Montreal's OutGames are operating in a cash surplus position and Chicago's Gay Games still have millions of dollars to raise before July.

I don't expect to be at either, but I will be harbouring fond memories of the Gay Games in San Francisco, Vancouver and New York City while I watch the OutGames on Radio Canada. Maybe I'll pull out my medals to wear for the occasion.