2009-01-04

because he writes important stuff excellently

As Canadians take a break from politics and economics and with events in the Middle East (about which I am not yet prepared to write) dominating the news I have been somewhat lost for subject matter. It seems a good time, therefore, to post about a blog I discovered only a month ago but which has become essential reading.

Slapupsidethehead was awarded the Canadian Bloggie (think the Academy Awards for Blogs, if you don’t know the honour already) for the best GLBT blog in Canada, in December. The author also won the Bloggie for the second best post of the year on all Canadian blogs for Hiding from Homophobia is not an Option. It reminds me of the theme of the recent movie Milk depicting the political career of Harvey Milk, “Never blend in.” Reading the Jan 2 post on the impact of family acceptance on the health of gay youth reminded me of just how important this blog is and how much it deserves all the publicity I and others can give it. Unlike too many gay blogs, Slap is not “preaching to the church” but speaking with passion and humour to a much more diverse audience.

Slapupsidethehead, besides always having an important message is beautifully written and produced with great graphics and illustrations. It amazes me how bloggers find the time to turn out something like this with such frequency and excellence and still, I hope, have a life. Slap does it without advertising or any remuneration, for which added credit is deserved.

Belated congratulations for the Bloggie. I hope everyone reading this will surf on to Slap and benefit.