I was taken by surprise, a few weeks ago, to see a line-up of bicycles for sale at Mountain Equipment Co-op in Toronto. Then came this report in The Globe and Mail.
"Mountain Equipment Co-op raises ire of bicycle industry Decision by Vancouver-based non-profit chain to sell bikes criticized by specialty retailers, who fear unfair competition Mountain Equipment Co-op, which has built its retailing reputation on a feel-good image of environmental and social responsibility, has ignited anger in an unlikely place – the bicycle industry."
link: Mountain Equipment Co-op raises ire of bicycle industry - The Globe and Mail
Since I have never found the bike-sales industry in Toronto to be all that customer friendly, I guess I should have expected that other retailers will raise self-intereseted alarm at the arrival of a new competitor. The bikes I saw at the Co-op were not glamourous but appeared to offer solid value, in keeping with MEC's philosophy on outfitting recreational users. The bikes will not have to be marked-up to pay for life-style ads in the cycling media, and will not turn heads when ridden down the street, but they will probably last as long, or longer, than their stylish competitors. MEC's down-to-earth staff can be expected to recommend the right bike for the customer rather than the over-priced model which management at other bike stores has determined to be the sales priority of the day. I'll certainly be advising anyone looking for new wheels to check out the new cycle store in town.