Oh the declining price (relatively) of our toys. The first computer on which I ever worked was an Apple II, but it was owned by Seneca College where I was learning to write little programs in C-Basic. I was intrigued and amazed by the Newton, but at the equivalent of more than $1000, it was only something only to be dreamed about. But as the cost of ownership of a Mac has declined (hardware and software, all-in) more and better products have become feasible.
"Adjusted for inflation, 43 $499 iPads equal one Apple Lisa. Released in January of 1983 for an entry level price of $9,995, the Apple Lisa would cost $21,844.85 in 2010 dollars. Today, with that much money, users could buy 43 iPads at $499. Adjusted for inflation, the iPad is less expensive than the initial entry prices for the Apple I ($2,540.07), Macintosh Portable ($11,358.59), Newton Message Pad ($1,048.47), Mac mini ($553.64) and iPhone ($521.49). In fact, the only gadget on an adjusted price list from VoucherCodes.co.uk less expensive than the entry level iPad is the first iPod, which would cost $488.46 in today's dollars."
link: AppleInsider | Adjusted for inflation, 43 $499 iPads equal one Apple Lisa
The cost of an iPad in Canada has not been announced yet, but at current exchange rates and affinity-group pricing, I expect my cost to be about $500. Watching the promotional video guides my enthusiasm only rises. Let there be no delays in the scheduled April release. Please. I haven't had a new toy for almost a year.