2010-05-20

what were they thinking? or were they

Now I've never been a fan of Victoria Day/24th of May fireworks. The idea of putting explosives in the hands of children and amateurs never made much sense to me. That these explosives are sold, usually, from trailers and temporary shops set up on vacant lots is not reassuring. Of course landlords will not rent building or shopping mall space to the vendors. Common sense and their insurers don't allow it.

So imagine my astonishment today. I'd seen the "FIREWORKS" sign pointing to the local shopping plaza for a couple of days but hadn't located the shack. Are there no regulations about such things? Right against the property line where the shopping mall meets the Esso gasoline station!! Now maybe the mall owners wanted it as far from one of their buildings as possible but beside a gasoline station?! They tell us not to smoke or have an open flame or use our cell phones on the gasoline station property. But I guess storing explosives, entrusted to a bunch of minimum wage earners with no training in their handling, 20 feet from the gasoline pumps isn't considered a threat to public safety.

Well our house is 1.3 Km from the site, so aside from some broken windows we should be fine should the whole thing blow. And I can use another gasoline station until the threat moves on.