2011-08-04

after the break

It's been a month and exaro needs to come back.  It's not that there haven't been lots of interesting things on which to comment; just that my priorities have been elsewhere.  Not to be self-pitying, but one's mother only dies once and that seems sufficient distraction from the will to blog.

Mom's 94 years gave us, her family, students, colleagues and friends, lots to celebrate but I don't think she would have understood blog posts.  Reading the newspaper daily and watching CBC NewsNet were her means of keeping informed on what she needed to know.  She wasn't that super-exceptional 90-year-old who wanted to master computers and tweet her way to fame and infamy.  Outside the classroom, she taught by example and mostly spoke loudly through silence in a manner in which, as one of her mourners stated, you had no doubt what she was thinking.

I hope some of her values can be reflected in exaro's quest to inform, entertain and provoke.  Much is happening on the local, provincial and national political scene that is, or will, effect the public good.  I can't remain silent and content.

Proposals to tame expenditures in the City of Toronto would profoundly effect the lives my friends and I have come to enjoy.  We will argue for what we believe is right.  The pending provincial election could result in a triumvirate of neo-conservative governments ruling Ontarians lives,  This is the time for progressives to resist.  Federally, we know the script for the next four years but we have to prepare for a strong centrist, progressive and national alternative in 2015 so we can get Canada back on course.

Yes, exaro is going to be political in the weeks ahead.  I hope it also can be humourous and entertaining, assuming our crazy world can provide the subject matter.  For sure the politicians will provide the provocation.