2006-06-12

Liberal Leadership Forum Round 1

Like thousands of Canadians, I was mesmerized by the first Liberal Party leadership forum last Saturday.. Yea, right. Maybe there are two kinds of Canadians: those watching World Cup Soccer and those watching Liberal agree with each other.

In fact, my viewing was sporadic. I went about my weekend cleaning chores with three TVs tuned to CPAC, stopping to watch when someone I wanted to hear was speaking or I heard something remotely interesting. If you interpret that to mean I didn't listen to Joe Volpe, Maurizio Bevilaqua, Carolyn Bennett, Hedy Fry, Martha Findlay, so be it.

More compelling was the commentary from the network pundits that followed through the weekend. CTV brought out Scott Reid to exclaim how Bob Rae out-shone everyone else. My reaction: Bob looked very old and very tired - the only candidate with white hair (not good in a youth oriented and TV dominated race). Now that he has had laser surgery or is wearing contacts, he looks like a tired elder who should be commenting on the leadership race but not participating. Add in his gliberal platitudes about peacemaking and helping the less fortunate... it was time to start vacuuming.

Gerrard Kennedy used his time to brag about his smart selection in a bride and his success in fathering bilingual children. He was even more smarmy than I had expected and it really comes across on TV.

The Toronto Star and Chantal Hebert have branded Michael Ignatieff as a right-wing, pro-USA/Pro-Bush war monger. It's about what I'd expect. The fact that most of other candidates felt a need to attach him is as sure as sign as any that they know he is the man to beat.

Most commentators have noted that Stephane Dion performed much better than they expected. I would agree. It's always good to exceed expectations but extremely difficult to do if you are Ignatieff. Dion warrants watching.

Much as I like Scott Brison, and out hearts as former Red Tories are in the same place, just when he is starting to impress he makes a serious error. His quip - concern about what The New York Times would write about Canada if the vote on a two-year commitment to Afghanistan was negative - was the perfect set-up for an oponent and Hall-Findlay took easy, and damaging, points off Brison. I am beginning to believe Brison is in the race to be Ignatieff's Altantic Canada lieutenant and, possibly, deputy leader.

How did Ken Dryden spend so many years in MOntreal playing for the Canadiens and learn so little French?

I expect several candidates to drop out of the race over the summer and before the autumn resumption of the fora.  IMHO, the ones to watch are Ignatieff, Kennedy and Dion.  The race to see who goes down first - Rae or Brison - will be interesting.  The rest would be advised to get out early and save their money.