2007-06-29

is this what all the fuss was about?


Have all the Canadian gay/lesbian couples who wanted to marry already taken their vows? Did Canadian pols spend years arguing an issue that has faded nearly into oblivion in hardly more than a year? According to a Reuters report, only one of 319 marriage licences issued in Toronto this year to same-sex couple was for Canadians. All the others were “foreigners”.

While I am not surprised at the report that the number of Canadians marrying declined form the first year the opportunity was present, this decline is somewhat astounding. It tells me the pro-marriage lobby enjoyed a somewhat detached loyalty – i.e. I want my right but I don’t plan to use it – which does not surprise me. It conforms to the oft stated opinion that “marriage” is for straights and we don’t need it or want it. Our relationships worked just fine before marriage was available and will continue to work just fine without it, after. My “husband” and I are quite content in our common-law “marriage” and, while we have discussed it, have no plans to rush to the altar. BUT, don’t let any neo-con or religious bigot tell me I can’t marry!

I am happy Toronto has a new stream of tourism revenue and welcome all the non-Canadians who come here for something they are denied at home. Why is it humans want what they can’t have so badly and then lose interest as soon as it is available?

UPDATE: Thursday, August 23, 2007

New information reported by Maclean’s suggests the Reuters data published in June may have been inaccurate. Now the City of Toronto is saying it issued 182 marriage licences to same sex couples, year-to-date. It’s unlike there was one licence issued in the first six months and 181 in the following six weeks. The city has also reduced the number of licences issued to American by about half. Obviously I have no idea what is going on here.