I’m embarrassed that I have spent so little time on the bike this season, but TV coverage of the Tour de France does get my blood moving and spirit soaring. Watching the riders on the Col d’Aspin in the Pyrenees yesterday – wow! – how the memories of 1985 and my own tour of Southern France flood back. Yes, those ascents in the Pyrenees really do hurt. We rode them a lot slower but we didn’t have a team of masseurs waiting at the arrivee.
The sense of accomplishment more amateur riders feel upon completing a “milestone” ride is amasing, whether it is a first 100K or a real “century”, i.e. 100 miles. “Metric centuries” are pretty good rides but it’s when you’ve done the real one! Done several here and can still be inspired when I recall them.
It was then with empathy that I read the following on the ‘net. The rider was revelling in the afterglow of riding his first century in 5 hours: 40 minutes which is an excellent time for a amateur triathlete. Then he had this experience:
“I had a conversation with my buddies (sic) father in-law, a self made man who made his fortune in the construction industry in town. Everywhere you go you see his name on the saw horses and construction vehicles. I casually told him of my bike ride after he asked me what I was up to. His reply? You rode a bike for 5 & 1/2 hrs. What the hell else did you get done that day!
From the mouth of an old school yankee!!!!!
“Todd the feeble!”
Well Todd, with some folks you just can’t win, but you can always win with yourself. Allez Allez