A brief change in topic. Who does Sheila Fraser think she is and how does she get away with it?
Federal Auditor General Sheila Fraser's penchant for publicity has long bothered me. I am all in favour of a rigorous audit of government spending to root out waste and, fortunately infrequently, misappropriation. What bothers me about Fraser, is her tendency to make policy judgements disguised as value-for-money audits. Policy decisions are the responsibility of the government. The Auditor General has no business second-guessing the government on policy.
But Fraser is a publicity seeking egomaniac who knows she gets the most media attention when she ignores the nuts and bolts of her job and assumes the role unelected prime minister.
Not satisfied, apparently, Fraser took it a step further this week when she identified a retired public official and came close to accusing him of fraud. First, where does she get the authority to identify an individual? I am looking for someone to explain how she gets around federal privacy laws. I have been following audit reports since the Diefenbaker government was chastised for overspending to refit HMCS Bonaventure but I don't recall individuals being named. It's always the department or department officials who are cited, but not "John Smith".
I am convinced Fraser spotted a minor celebrity who may have acted inappropriately or illegally and decided here is a chance to raise her already high profile even further and damn the consequences or petty nuisances like privacy laws.
The RCMP will decide if there is sufficient evidence of fraud to lay charges but meanwhile, and without giving him a chance to answer questions or provide clarification, Fraser has acted as judge and jury. And the media will not call her on her indiscretion because she helps sell newspapers and advertising.
For me, this publicity seeker's retirement cannot come too soon.