This my first convention post; my candid comments on what I see and hear and not intended necessarily to hit the most important or significant moments.
My perspective on the convention will be that provided by CTV, CBC and Global (maybe some CPAC). Last night CTV Newsnet got 99.9% of my viewing time - more Anne McClelland/less Belinda Stronach and Jane Taber over Don Newman any time.
The first evening got off to a bit of a slow start, waiting for the tribute to interim leader Bill Graham and the Howard Dean keynote while amateur talent night played out on stage between speeches. The national anthem was sung by a boy with a voice his grandmother I am sure found wonderful.
Watching the Graham tribute as a former Rosedale (Centre) resident - the film, the speeches by his daughter and son and the smiling Mrs Graham - I had to wonder where was the "I love my gay and lesbian constituents - they made me who I am" Bill Graham that we know. It's not that I expected a reference to the black-mailer/lover and the family's acceptance of the reality, but there was not even a glimmer of light coming under the closet door. Disappointing in 2006.
Howard Dean's speech turned out to be a good idea from what I could judge. The intro - film and remarks from Frank McKenna - clarified why he had been invited; Dean's experience in building a party from the grass roots and in the use of internet technologies, all in the cause of liberalism and participatory democracy. Dean's speech was a trifle short but he seemed to wow the audience, slipping easily between English and French (something Graham failed to do) and he used humour effectively to keep the audience's attention and the evening session dragged into its third hour.
Summary: not a great evening but who but wonks was watching or cared.