2006-12-01

Decision Time

I have been putting this moment off - announcing a decision on who I would like to lead the Libersal Party and who I think will be chosen at the convention tomorrow.

The speeches have just been concluded and, among the four leading candidates, there is no one I would not be ready to work for in the anticipated 2007 election. This statement is not merely in support of party unity; it's a result of the fact that choosing one over the others is very difficult for me. Each of the leading four has strengths and weaknesses such that it is almost impossible to pick one as a better choice than all the others. What criteria are most important? an ability to rebuild and unite the party for the 21st century - choose Kennedy; experience and credibility and passion - choose Dion; electability across Canada - it's a toss-up between Rae and Ignatieff with Rae getting points for experience and social conscience and Ignatieff for foreign and economic policy.

My first choice for leader was Scott Brison, but that is not to be.

I haven't been impressed by the squabble between Rae and Ignstieff and hope they can put it behind them fot the sake of the party and Canada.

Kennedy's French has been criticised but it is Dion's Enlgish that troubles me thinking ahead to the next election.

So - my first choice for leader is Gerard Kennedy, but I doubt he can win, even with a Trdeau blessing.

My second choice is Bob Rae for his experience and ability to get to work, on Monday, to end the interim Conservative rule.

Michael Ignatieff is my third choice - better policy ideas than Rae but short on political experience and a high risk choice. The risk is why he has slipped from my second choice in August to third today.

My prediction: Rae on the fourth ballot.

I hope we know in less than 24 hours and look forward to the new Liberal era.