2008-12-09
maybe bob rae and I have not been liberals long enough
Time to retreat. When I wrote yesterday about an expedited on-line/mail in vote to confirm the next leader of the Liberal Party, I was forgetting the passion this issue stirred at the last Liberal Party convention in Montréal in Dec 2006. Rightly or wrongly, the party membership decided emphatically in favour of delegated leadership conventions while giving the national party executive, in consultation with the Parliamentary caucus, the authority to name an interim leader when the office is otherwise vacant. I still support modernising the voting process, but I didn’t run to be a delegate to the Montréal convention, the delegated conventions won the support of those who did. I respect their decision and the constitution of the party. Maybe Bob Rae and I are too new to the Liberal Party to have these things indelibly stored in our memory.